Parents Code of Conduct
As a MAL parent, I acknowledge having read the following rules and agree to strictly adhere to them.
Encourage and Support
- I will encourage, but not force, my child to participate in sports.
- I will try my best to be involved with my child's athletics because I know it is important to him/her. I will try my best to practice with him/her beyond any MAL practices.
- I will try my best to help the MAL any way possible as I understand it is an all-volunteer organization in constant need of volunteers.
- I will make every effort possible to get my child to all games/practices -- and to be on time. I will communicate to the coach when we will be late or absent. I understand that TeamSnap is the best way to do this.
- I will inform the coach of any ailment that may affect the safety of my child or others.
- I will learn the rules of the game and policies of the league.
- I will remember that children participate to have fun and to learn, and that the game is for youth -- not adults. I will promote the emotional and physical well being of the athletes ahead of any personal desire I may have for winning.
- I will teach my child that doing one's best, competing fairly, and skill development are more important than winning. I will praise my child for competing fairly and trying hard.
- I will teach my child to be humble in victory, and courteous in defeat.
Conduct during Events/Games
- I will never ridicule or speak negatively at any player. I will always be supportive. I will only raise my voice to positively encourage or cheer.
- I will not coach any player during games and practices.
- I will keep any negative opinion about the coaches to myself.
- If I have a problem with a coach, I will never question or confront him/her at the field. I will instead request a meeting to discuss the situation. I will observe the "24-Hour Rule" to allow a "cool down" period so emotions can be controlled.
- I will not make verbal or physical threats/abuse toward any player, coach, official, parent, or MAL Board member. I will never invade their personal space, touch them, or yell at them.
- I will never enter the field -- unless invited by the official or coach to come to the aid of my child in case of injury.
- I will demand that my child always treat other players, coaches, officials, and spectators with respect. I will teach my child to never resort to hostility or violence.
- I (and my guests) will always be a positive role model and encourage sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy, and by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, officials, and spectators.
- I (and my guests) will always respect the officials regardless of how a game is being officiated. We will never criticize/question or "educate" them. We will accept their calls as we understand they are making calls as best they can.
- I (and my guests) will not boo, taunt, or use profane language or gestures. We will always be respectful.
- I (and my guests) will not use drugs, tobacco, and alcohol at MAL events.
- I (and my guests) will respect the facilities we use and follow all rules. We will clean up after ourselves before leaving.
I understand that failure to adhere to the above rules (or poor personal conduct outside the MAL) will result in a review by the MAL Grievance and Ethics Committee, which may result in disciplinary action that could include, but is not limited to the following:
- A Warning.
- Removal from a game.
- Suspension from future games.
- Season suspension.
- Permanent ban.
I understand that I have the right to appeal any disciplinary action decided against me.