We are pleased to announce that tryouts for the MAL’s 2019 – 2020 Travel Basketball Season will be held during the weeks of Sept 23, Sept 30 and Oct 7.
Parents MUST pre-register their child by Thursday, September 19. This will allow us to determine the number of evaluators needed for each session. Please use the following link:
A schedule with dates, times and locations for each grade level will be released shortly, as we are working with fall sports to avoid conflicts with their practice schedules.
– Players are required to attend both tryout sessions. The second session will only be necessary when more than 10 players tryout for a particular grade level.
– Players are expected to wear their reversible rec jersey from last season (preferred) or basketball jersey, shorts and sneakers.
– Players are asked to arrive 15 minutes prior to the start of their session with a basketball. If a player does not have a basketball, one will be provided.
This is a closed tryout. Parents/guardians will not be permitted to attend.
– Teams are available for boys in grades 2 – 8 and for girls in grades 3 – 8 in the league which we participate (Bergen Travel Basketball).
– The travel program differs from our recreation program in that it is a more competitive playing environment against surrounding towns. MAL REC Basketball registration will open in the beginning of October.
– Except for second and third grade, there are no minimum playing time requirements for players. Coaches may use their discretion when determining playing rotations.
– MAL rules require all children participating in the travel program to play in the recreation program as well.
– Rosters require a minimum of 8 players and are capped at 10. When possible, two teams will be formed in a grade level based on ability – an A team and a B team.
– In determining rosters, the MAL utilizes outside evaluators with extensive basketball coaching experience to observe and complete player ratings. These ratings will then be reviewed with members of the MAL Board and Basketball Committee.
– Coaches will be selected after rosters are finalized.
– Montvale participates in the Bergen Travel Basketball League. This is a ‘flighted’ league – meaning teams will be matched against ‘like’ competition.
The travel fee is $250. This covers the league fee, tournaments, costs for gym time and equipment.
– Players in grades 2 – 8 purchase uniforms (shorts and jersey) through Sports Expert in Hillsdale. The cost is $50 and the uniform typically lasts 2 – 3 years.
– Teams will play 14 league games and at least two tournaments (two game minimum in each). Practices will begin at the end of October and run at least once per week until the first week of March.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out via email.
MAL Travel Basketball Coordinator